Hosted by Family Equality and COLAGE, Family Week in Provincetown is a beloved annual event that brings together LGBTQ+ families, extended families, and friends from across the country for a week of community, connection, and fun in the sun. Learn more at ptownfamilyweek.com.
Update as of July 29, 2021:
We’ve identified a confirmed case of COVID-19 from a fully-vaccinated adult Family Week attendee. We are, of course, monitoring details closely and remaining in contact with the attendee, Provincetown officials, and COVID-19 compliance officers to ensure that we are following best practices and implementing all applicable guidelines to mitigate risks. Out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to cancel the following events: Beach Party (formerly known as the Pool Party), Space Jam, Regional Gathering, Pride Parade, and both Parent and Family Yoga. COLAGE is also canceling their remaining events and will be in touch with registrants about replacement virtual programming tomorrow. To view our complete statement, click here.
Original post published on July 23, 2021
It’s hard to believe Family Week is just one day away! We are absolutely overjoyed to be joining all our amazing Family Week families again this year. But of course, with the presence of COVID-19 on all our minds, the festivities this year will look a little different.
According to a recent Public Health Advisory released by officials in Provincetown, there have been 132 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Provincetown as of Friday, July 16. This is an increase in breakthrough cases, spanning a wide range of ages and vaccination statuses.
One of the aspects of Family Week planning we cherish the most is the relationships we’ve built with our contacts on the ground in “PTown.” So, it’s no surprise that while we are closely monitoring the situation internally, we have also remained in contact with our partners in Provincetown—including the town’s COVID-19 Compliance Officer—to maintain a clear picture of the state of the affairs and recommended best practices.
In accordance with those many conversations, we have moved all Family Equality Family Week events outdoors to the most ventilated locations possible: parks, playgrounds, and beaches. The only exceptions to this are:
- Our in-person registration on Saturday and Sunday, which have been limited to one adult per family, and
- Our three indoor movie screenings with WarnerMedia and Water’s Edge Cinema, which have been adjusted to adhere to strict COVID-19 protocols and will occur in theaters with special HIPPA air purifiers that clean the air every hour.
We have also sent near-daily updates to registrants reminding them that:
- Provincetown requires all unvaccinated attendees (including children) to wear face coverings while indoors, in large groups, and/or in close proximity to those outside of their household. And, we are asking that vaccinated folks also mask up!
- Anyone who experiences COVID-19 or other illness symptoms while at Family Week is asked to stay home.
- COVID-19 testing is available for free at the Veterans Memorial Community Center parking lot at 2 Mayflower Street on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Thursday-Monday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Attendees are expected to pack their own snacks, beverages, and food.
We know that no matter what precautions we take, we cannot prevent families from becoming exposed to, contracting, or spreading COVID-19 while participating in activities in Provincetown. But, by communicating with experts on the ground and adjusting our plan whenever necessary, we are continuing to do what we can.
From the moment we began planning Family Week 2021, the health and safety of our families have been at the forefront of all of our minds. This remains truer than ever as we look forward to one of our favorite weeks of the year! For more updates, announcements, and information related to Family Week in Provincetown, visit ptownfamilyweek.com.